US may put back North Korea on terror list
KONFRONTASI - The United States may place North Korea back on the state sponsors of terror list, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Washington is seriously contemplating relisting the country as state sponsor of terror, a senior Obama administration official told the WSJ on condition of anonymity.
The move came in response to allegations that North Korea conducted a cyber attack on Sony Pictures that has raised fears of terrorist attacks in the US.
The FBI said in a statement on Friday that it had “enough information” to conclude that Pyongyang is responsible for the attacks.
Following the FBI announcement, President Barack Obama said that Washington “will respond proportionally”.
Also, Sen. Robert Menendez asked the Secretary of State John Kerry to put North Korea back on the list, saying “North Korean actions set a dangerous precedent”.
“Through cyber-attacks, North Korea was able to inflict significant economic damage on a major international company," Menendez wrote in a letter to Kerry on Friday.
Kerry issued a statement saying that "these lawless acts of intimidation demonstrate North Korea’s flagrant disregard for international norms."
He also called on US allies to “stand” with Washington in efforts to respond to North Korea’s actions.
Hackers have threatened 9/11-style terrorist attacks in the US due to a controversial movie, “The Interview,” that depicts the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Last month, Sony executives received an email warning them not to release their “movie of terror,” referring to “The Interview”[ptv]
SCROLL KE BAWAH UNTUK MEMBACA BERITA LAINNYA