Saudi warplanes continue bombarding Yemen
KONFRONTASI-Saudi warplanes continue to pound more areas across Yemen despite reports of civilian casualties in the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country.
According to local media reports, Saudi military aircraft targeted an airbase in the Yemeni capital city of Sana’a in their latest deadly airstrikes late on Saturday.
Saudi warplanes also carried out an airstrike on a residential area in the Saddah district of Yemen’s southwestern province of Ibb. Four civilians were killed, including three children. The jets also targeted a school in Ibb's Qafr district.
In a similar airstrike on the Harad district of the northwestern province of Hajjah, over ten civilians lost their lives.
On March 26, Saudi Arabia began its military aggression against Yemen – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to fugitive former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, an ally of Riyadh.
The United Nations says the conflict in Yemen has killed more than 4,000 people, nearly half of them civilians, since late March. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.
Earlier this week, the World Health Organization voiced grave concern over the deterioration of health conditions in Yemen.
Moreover, Yemenis are suffering from food and water shortage due to the Saudi aggression.
On August 11, the UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food, Hilal Elver, said, “As the conflict continues to escalate, over 12.9 million people in Yemen are now surviving without adequate access to basic food supplies, including six million who are deemed severely food insecure.”
In retaliation for the deadly Saudi airstrikes, Yemen’s Ansarullah fighters and allied army units conducted rocket attacks on Saudi military sites.
The Yemeni forces shelled a military base in Dhahran al-Janub, located in southwestern Saudi Arabia, but there was no immediate report on possible casualties.
Ansarullah fighters have frequently fired missiles at Saudi border posts over the past weeks. More than two dozen Saudi soldiers have been killed in such retaliatory attacks.[MR/PTV]